Lead Design Engineer
- Reference: Lead Design Engineer
- Closing Date: 31/10/2022
- Type: General Application
Welland Medical, one of the leading ostomy brands in the UK and worldwide, specialise in the design, development and manufacture of innovative stoma care appliances and accessories. Welland Medical is renowned for manufacturing ground breaking solutions that enhance people’s lives, every day. Situated in a purpose-built state of the art research, development and manufacturing facility, Welland Medical has a growing workforce of over 240 skilled colleagues. Part of the privately owned CliniMed Group, which established in 1982, provides specialist products and services to the healthcare market.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
Your unique talents and perspective can make a vital contribution to innovative products that improve the lives of Ostomists everywhere. A career opportunity within Welland Medical may provide you with an ideal setting to build your experience; express your passion and make a difference.
Working within an existing creative team, the successful candidate will be working closely with all members of the R&D team to develop Medical Devices for Ostomy Care. The candidate will be involved in
the New Product Development process, helping to complete design specificat ions, supporting product verification and validation and completing design work using SolidWorks. The role will also require a
significant amount of hands-on work, supporting the development of Welland’s Next Generation of products with concept work and the construction of prototypes for more detailed review by the team.
Our R&D team of Engineers, Designers and Technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the ostomy device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to Welland’s New Product Development
process and transforming patient care through innovation. As a Lead Design Engineer you would be involved in specific & general assignments/projects that provide innovative, functional, cost effective &
validated product designs in a team based environment.
As a Lead Design Engineer you be working as an integral part of the Development team and be responsible for the day to day development of new products achieving Market strategic, clinical and commercial input requirements and meeting timescale targets. . As well, you will help support market analyses and suggests technologies to be invested based on your own R&D research results. You will also lead testing procedures for prototypes before they are passed to the development project teams and Engineering.
The Lead Design Engineer role will be responsible for the development and to mentor junior members of the team.
You will have significant experience within this field and acquired technical knowledge and skills relating to the product design and development . The Lead Design Engineer’s expertise is essential to their
responsibilities to provide technical guidance and support to the team and lead projects as required of high complexity.
Key Responsibilities of the Lead Design Engineer:
- Conduct research and develop plans for green initiatives and other product innovations.
- Implement approved green initiatives in design processes.
- Communicate data analysis results to relevant stakeholders to support new product introduction.
- Support all NPD activity, Sales (e.g. Training, Complaints, and Stoma Nurse Exhibitions) and distributor meetings providing high level technical presentations and interactive feedback sessions
- Determine possible business applications of IP (using tools such as PatSnap) to support organisation’s strategies and new objectives.
- Develop IP management processes for new and existing designs.
- Evaluate IP infringements in accordance with organisational procedures.
- Define categories for organisation’s existing intellectual property (IP) to allow ease of access to necessary information.
- IP and market trends, technology and manufacturing innovations to conceptualise and develop new and innovative concept solutions to help define strategic direction.
As a Lead Design Engineer, you will work in the initial stages of the design process, from early user insight analysis through to ideation, concept development, detailed design specification, and final product testing
and validation. Additional responsibilities include:
- Consideration of Marketing requirements, patient and customer needs, human factors/usability, environmental factors and design for manufacturing and assembly.
- Ensuring correct management of design control and risk management through the use of the Welland Medical quality system
- Lead and manage product development projects throughout the product lifecycle
- Developing physical prototypes to test and validate ideas and concept proposals
- Perform feasibility analysis on design plans or early phase KPI projects.
- Product verification and validation
- Creating and reviewing technical reports.
- Preparation of conceptual and potentially detailed component technical drawings, documentation to BS8888 (BS308) using Solids Work CAD.
- Produce and validate product and technical requirement specifications.
- Use of DFMEA principles to minimise early design risk
- Solve complex design problems and support production issues in relation to products and their performance
- Consideration for Design for Manufacturing
- Establish design-related methodologies for testing through data analytics.
- Evaluate analysis findings for technical and business reports.
- Providing technical support and maintenance for the existing Welland Medical product range.
- Arrange for the production of prototype or rapid prototypes of R&D evaluation products
- Presenting as the technical authority of the Welland Medical’s product portfolio both internally and externally.
- Ensuring designs are cost-efficient, mechanically feasible and manufacturable whilst firmly protecting and communicating the design intent and creative vision of the product.
- Technical liaison with the customer/s and attendance at Sales & Marketing and Research & Development meetings, helping to provide technical solutions and products support, this may involve distributor meetings, presentations and visits to our global markets providing training, research support with co-creation as well as dealing with complex complaints or areas for further development in existing or future products.
- Experience in providing cross-functional links between Technical, Marketing/Sales, Quality, Regulatory and external customers/suppliers and other key stakeholders.
- Liaising and communicating issues and design status with designers, suppliers and various cross-functional teams within the business and senior management.
- Operating with a high level of autonomy whilst interacting effectively with, and seeking input from team members and other areas of the business including Marketing, Manufacturing, Clinical and
Regulatory Affairs to ensure the products being developed are appropriate and satisfy all necessary requirements.
- Providing inspirational leadership to the team, mentoring and guiding less senior and student team members as required.
- Record implementation progress of innovation initiatives.
- Specify appropriate advanced analytical techniques to create information which supports decision-making and department strategy considerations for the future.
- Consideration for resource planning strategies
- Analyse viability of workplace improvements and change management initiatives.
- Training of team and project stakeholders in the NPD process.
- Manage department’s compliance to organisation’s development procedures development and work instructions.
- Planning and preparation of documentation and testing required to support the product process
- Managing, developing and assisting in the recruitment of the Development of the R&D teams of Product/ Design Engineers.
- Performance management and regular development reviews with team members to ensure KPIs are focused on and at the same time developing relevant competencies.
- Prepare and advice future budgets/ requirements and work to approved budgets and schedules.
- Maintaining and championing Welland’s commitment to high quality product standards and reliability benchmarks.
- Working within the Welland Medical Quality system, standards and regulatory requirements
- Supporting QA/RA in technical investigations of customer complaints and in compilation of technical sections of regulatory submissions.
- Adherence to Quality Management System (QMS) requirements in line with ISO13485 and the MDR
- Understand the principle of Lean Manufacturing and CI
As a Lead Design Engineer you will have:
- A BEng or BSc in a relevant subject such as Product/ Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or demonstrate a similar level of academic/ work experience
- Minimum of five years Design Engineering/ Product Design experience in a product development role, but more importantly, a passion for design, a commitment to learn, a willingness to share
ideas and facilitate free and open collaboration.
- The aptitude for design and development, strength in both concept design and detail drafting.
- Familiarity with 3D CAD and associated analysis tools, SolidWorks (similar) literate to a strong level
- Strong technical/ Innovation background in delivering projects from concept through to manufacture with a thorough understanding of the product development process.
- Excellent problem solving skills with the ability to identify and analyse problems and generate design solutions in compliance with design specifications through root cause analysis.
- A high level of computer literacy.
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills.
- Define training requirements for your teams
- Effective decision making skills.
- Be highly motivated, proactive and capable of working with minimum of supervision.
- Good team working skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- The drive to explore, always looking for new ways of doing things, with a passion for investigating different processes and technologies from various innovation fields and translating and implementing those ideas into new product offerings.
- Good understanding of manufacture principles for high-volume consumable products
- Experience of Engineering analysis and a working knowledge of FMEA and DFMA
- Design experience from within the medical device field would be an advantage, however is not a pre-requisite for the Senior Design Engineer role; all product design experience is valued
- Experience of working to design and manufacturing standards such as ISO9001 or within the medical device industry, MDR, ISO 13485 and FDA Design Control is desirable.
- Leadership/ Coaching/ Mentoring skills are essential.
A degree of flexibility is needed and the job holder may be required to perform work not specifically referred to above and which will be appropriate to the senior level of the role
Health and Safety:
The Company has a Health and Safety policy, which outlines responsibilities of both the employer and employee in respect of health and safety. All employees are required to be aware of this policy and
comply with its content fully.
Quality is an integral part of the company’s mission to deliver innovative products and service. All members of staff are responsible for operating and promoting the development of quality standards and
The company is committed to a culture of continuous improvement. All members of staff are expected to take ownership of tasks and seek new and improved ways of doing things.
This is a description of the job as it exists at present. All Job Descriptions are liable to variation in order to reflect any future role/obligations change and employee development.
For more information, please contact our recruitment team at email@example.com.
A covering letter and CV are required with all applications.