Lead Design Engineer
- Reference: Lead Design Engineer
- Closing Date: 01/04/2023
- Type: General Application
Job Title: Lead Design Engineer
Reporting To: Head of Research and Development
Department: Research and Development
Working Hours: Monday – Friday
Start Date: ASAP
We Are Welland
Welland Medical brings to market the best and most innovative products that enhance the lives of people living with a stoma across the world. Investing in the most talented people, collaborating to create world- class, ground-breaking products and services devoted to improving peoples’ lives. We are passionate about making a difference in the world. Our reputation is based on a tradition of improvement, ethical leadership, and total commitment to quality and safety. Welland Medical Ltd®, established in 1988 is part of the CliniMed® Group, and has over 250 colleagues committed to enhancing people’s lives.
We collaborate by embracing differing perspectives to make better decisions and continuously improve.
We pride ourselves on our innovative spirit by creating novel solutions within the workplace and in stoma care.
We commit to empower and respect each other, ethically, honestly and with fairness.
We are passionate about recognising talent and providing an equal and supportive workspace for all to thrive.
We commit to setting the highest standard of quality in everything we do to enhance people’s lives every day.
Summary Of The Role:
Working within an existing creative team, the successful candidate will be working closely with all members of the R&D team to develop Medical Devices for Ostomy Care. The candidate will be involved in the New Product Development process, helping to complete design specifications, supporting product verification and validation and completing design work using SolidWorks. The role will also require a significant amount of hands-on work, supporting the development of Welland’s Next Generation of products with concept work and the construction of prototypes for more detailed review by the team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
As part of your role at Welland, you will be fully integrated within the IT team, with focus and ability to:
- Conduct research and develop plans for green initiatives and other product innovations
- Implement approved green initiatives in design processes
- Communicate data analysis results to relevant stakeholders to support new product introduction.
- Support all NPD activity, Sales (e.g. Training, Complaints, and Stoma Nurse Exhibitions) and distributor meetings providing high level technical presentations and interactive feedback sessions as require
- Determine possible business applications of IP (using tools such as PatSnap) to support organisation’s strategies and new objectives
- Develop IP management processes for new and existing designs
- Evaluate IP infringements in accordance with organisational procedures
- Define categories for organisation’s existing intellectual property (IP) to allow ease of access to necessary information
- IP and market trends, technology and manufacturing innovations to conceptualise and develop new and innovative concept solutions to help define strategic direction
- As a Lead Design Engineer, you will work in the initial stages of the design process, from early user insight analysis through to ideation, concept development, detailed design specification, and final product testing and validation
As a Lead Design Engineer you will have:
- A BEng or BSc in a relevant subject such as Product/ Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or demonstrate a similar level of academic/ work experience
- Minimum of five years Design Engineering/ Product Design experience in a product development role, but more importantly, a passion for design, a commitment to learn, a willingness to share ideas and facilitate free and open collaboration.
- The aptitude for design and development, strength in both concept design and detail drafting.
- Familiarity with 3D CAD and associated analysis tools, SolidWorks (similar) literate to a strong level
- Strong technical/ Innovation background in delivering projects from concept through to manufacture with a thorough understanding of the product development process.
- Excellent problem solving skills with the ability to identify and analyse problems and generate design solutions in compliance with design specifications through root cause analysis.
- A high level of computer literacy.
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills.
- Define training requirements for your teams
- Effective decision making skills.
- Be highly motivated, proactive and capable of working with minimum of supervision.
- Good team working skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- The drive to explore, always looking for new ways of doing things, with a passion for investigating different processes and technologies from various innovation fields and translating and implementing those ideas into new product offerings.
- Good understanding of manufacture principles for high-volume consumable products
- Experience of Engineering analysis and a working knowledge of FMEA and DFMA
- Design experience from within the medical device field would be an advantage, however is not a pre-requisite for the Senior Design Engineer role; all product design experience is valued
- Experience of working to design and manufacturing standards such as ISO9001 or within the medical device industry, MDR, ISO 13485 and FDA Design Control is desirable.
- Leadership/ Coaching/ Mentoring skills are essential.
A degree of flexibility is needed and the job holder may be required to perform work not specifically referred to above and which will be appropriate to the level of the role.
Our colleagues are at the heart of what we do. Our passion for our colleagues wellbeing is reflected in our values and we offer (and not limited to) the following perks to all our colleagues:
- Competitive company pension, that increases with length of service
- Health benefits
- Life insurance
- 25 holiday days plus statutory bank holidays
- Company Christmas shut down
- Discount at a number of high street retailers and other local discounts
- Complementarity company day
- Free onsite parking (including electric vehicle charging)
- Cycle to work scheme
This is a description of the job as it exists at present. All Job Descriptions are liable to variation in order to reflect any future role/obligations change and employee development.
For more information, please contact our recruitment team at email@example.com. A covering letter and CV are required with all applications.