R&D Formulation & Materials Scientist
- Reference: R&D Formulation & Materials Scientist
- Closing Date: 30/09/2023
- Type: General Application
Job Title: R&D Formulation & Materials Scientist
Reporting To: R&D Director (Head of R&D)
We Are Welland
Welland Medical brings to market the best and most innovative products that enhance the lives of people living with a stoma across the world. Investing in the most talented people collaborating to create world-class, ground-breaking products and services devoted to improving peoples’ lives. We are passionate about making a difference in the world. Our reputation is based on a tradition of improvement, ethical leadership, and total commitment to quality and safety. Welland Medical Ltd®, established in 1988 is part of the CliniMed® Group, and has over 250 colleagues committed to enhancing people’s lives.
We collaborate by embracing differing perspectives to make better decisions and continuously improve.
We pride ourselves on our innovative spirit by creating novel solutions within the workplace and in stoma care.
We commit to empower and respect each other, ethically, honestly and with fairness.
We are passionate about recognising talent and providing an equal and supportive workspace for all to thrive.
We commit to setting the highest standard of quality in everything we do to enhance people’s lives every day.
Summary Of The Role:
Based in Crawley and reporting to the R&D Director (Head of R&D), this is an exciting opportunity for the successful applicant to join a multidisciplinary R&D team. Specifically, this role will involve formulation and materials research, development and scale-up, leading to the launch of new hydrocolloids and medical products for Welland Medical that meet patient needs.
Our R&D team of Engineers, Designers and Technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the
ostomy device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to Welland’s New Product Development
process and transforming patient care through innovation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Contribute to the development of new Ostomy-centric medical devices from early stage product concepts through to transfer to Operations, in line with the Welland Medical Innovation strategy, QMS procedures and NPD process
• Lead formulation and/or materials research and development projects aligned to Welland Medical strategic goals and ambitions
• Provide SME (subject matter expert) formulation and technical knowledge input to relevant activities and strategic business decision making
• Manage multi-disciplinary project teams, to achieve key milestones through a staged product development process utilizing project management principles. Deliver assigned projects in a timely manner, within budget, whilst managing risk and ensuring key stakeholders are kept informed.
• Contribute to allocated work-streams within product development projects, meeting project targets and ensuring products meet customer expectations and operational needs.
• Create and review technical reports and/or design documentation for distribution both within Welland Medical and – where applicable – externally.
• Adopt a continuous improvement approach, proactively seeking development opportunities to ensure the R&D team has the skills and expertise to deliver business needs.
• Execute testing and trials in a timely manner, including the development of new test methods where gaps are identified
• Ensure continued maintenance and calibration of assigned test and pilot equipment. Create and review work instructions plus risk assessments
The nature of this role will require the individual to deal with a wide range of contacts at different levels of seniority within the organization, ranging from within R&D, Regulatory Affairs, Sales & Marketing through to the Operations teams.
In addition, the individual will deal with contacts external to the organization – ranging from (but not exclusively limited to) suppliers, key technical partners and Regulatory bodies.
Additional responsibilities will include:
• Developing new hydrocolloid and medical device formulations to meet identified patient, customer and/or market needs
• With R&D Senior Materials Engineer, scope then drive exploration of novel materials to support the Welland Medical Innovation and Product strategies
• Continuously improve and maintain the existing range of Welland Medical products currently in the market
• Support and enhance technical analyses of the marketplace and competitive landscape; including creating data to drive key Welland Medical strategies and activities
• Compiling necessary documentation for new products and/or product improvements to support submission to notified bodies; ensuring compliance to applicable regulations and standards
• Review and, where applicable, devise technical methodologies for the hydrocolloid space throughout the product lifecycle (including within Operations)
• Supporting QA/RA in technical investigations of customer complaints and in compilation of technical sections of regulatory submissions.
• Ensuring novel inventions are suitably protected for the Business via creation of patent
A degree of flexibility is needed, and the job holder may be required to perform work not specifically referred to above and which will be appropriate to the level of the role.
Our colleagues are at the heart of what we do. Our passion for our colleagues wellbeing is reflected in our values and we offer (and not limited to) the following perks to all our colleagues:
• Competitive company pension, that increases with length of service
• Health benefits
• Life insurance
• 25 holiday days plus statutory bank holidays
• Company Christmas shut down
• Discount at a number of high street retailers and other local discounts
• Complementarity company day
• Free onsite parking (including electric vehicle charging)
• Cycle to work scheme
For more information, please contact our recruitment team at email@example.com. A covering letter and CV are required with all applications.
View Person specification here.